APPLY TO BE A POLICE OFFICER
Become a member of our policing family
It’s a big decision, joining the police family.
So you’ll need to ask yourself a few important questions:
- Are you someone who thrives on two days never being the same?
- Will you run towards danger instead of away from it?
- Are you prepared to stand for hours in the rain protecting a crime scene as well as catching the criminal?
- Are you willing to spend longer on the paperwork than you are on the beat?
- Are you ready to be given a mouthful of abuse from the very person you are trying to protect?
- Are you a problem solver, a challenger, a motivator?
- Do you like to work as part of family team, with a bit of banter and make friends for life?
- Are you up to working for a force that’s ambitious and aspirational?
If the answer is yes then you are ready.
Being a police officer is fulfilling as well as challenging and two days really never are the same. On any given shift you could be carrying out a search warrant, arresting a drug dealer or being a reassuring face to a victim of domestic abuse. Your next shift you could be patrolling a public event, interviewing a suspect in custody or collecting vital evidence.
Policing is not purely about enforcement, your communication skills and ability to build relationships with the public will be key. You will need to be caring and compassionate as you will be dealing with victims of crime, witnesses and vulnerable members of our community. In a fast paced environment you will need to be prepared for the unexpected and stay calm under pressure, making split second decisions.
We are committed to creating a workforce that better represents the communities we serve to ensure we can respond to, and meet the needs of, our local communities.
Once you’re part of the family there are so many opportunities to progress through the ranks or specialise in an area of policing that interests you. You could become a detective, join our firearms or roads policing units or one of our public protection teams.
Wherever you decide to take your career, we will support you and help you develop to be the best officer you can be. Your development starts from day one and our training programme will give you all the skills and knowledge you need to be an effective police officer.
There are two ways you can join us as a Police Officer
Policing as a service is professionalising. You can either complete a degree apprenticeship or a post graduate diploma in professional policing practice. Both of these will give you the opportunity to specialise in core policing role such as conducting investigations and community policing in the final year of the programmes.
So when you apply to join you will either already have a degree (in any discipline) or we will structure your training to support you to achieve a degree level qualification from us.
The basic entry requirements from policing remain unchanged and deciding which option is best for you depends on whether or not you already have a degree.