Firearms Licensing

Please note that this page has been updated and you should now visit the new Firearms Licensing and Online Payment System page for the latest information.


Coronavirus Pandemic  Update

Firearms Licensing are currently still operating and can be contacted via or via telephone number 01482 220136.  Please do not ring 101 or 999 unless it’s an emergency

Update in relation to current Government guidance

Humberside Police will not be taking action in respect of shooting activities on shooting grounds or private land, provided the activities are otherwise licensed and lawful.  We urge anyone considering taking part in such activities to comply fully with the current government guidance about the conditions on which outdoor recreation may take place.

British Association for Shooting and Conservation

Following the latest government announcement on restrictions on movement because of Coronavirus,  BASC has issued a statement regarding deer management, pest control, conservation and seasonal work. You can view the statement here.

Grant Application

We are now beginning to process all grant applications received since March 2020, we do have a backlog and will prioritise applications in order of date received. We will be following the government guidelines on social distancing and will risk assess each enquiry prior to attending. If you have a query with an application, previously submitted, please do not hesitate to contact the department either by telephone or

Renewal Applications

We have continued to process all renewal applications and there is no backlog. If your security check has not yet been conducted,  you will be contacted shortly and a date and time agreed with you for an officer to attend.

Renewal reminder packs will be mailed 12 weeks prior to the expiry of your certificate.

Renewal applications should be completed and mailed to:

Firearms Licensing
Priory Road Police Station
Priory Road
HU5 5SF along with the relevant fee. 

It is not necessary to return your expiring certificates with your renewal application.

If you are not in a position to complete your application then please or contact Firearms Licensing to discuss the matter further.

What is the cost of a certificate and how long do they last?

Shotgun and Firearm Certificate are issued for up to 5 years.  Registered firearms dealers are issued for 3 years.  Explosive certificates are issued for 5 years or to the expiry date of firearm or shotgun certificate(s) you currently hold.

A list of the fees can be found here.

How can I pay for a certificate?

Payment can be in either a Cheque or Postal Order made payable to Humberside Police and Crime Commissioner (or Humberside PCC).  If you wish to pay in cash, please attend your local police station.

Where do I send my application?


Please forward your application by post FAO 'Firearms Licensing Office':

Firearms Licensing
Humberside Police
Priory Police Station


You can hand you application in at many local police stations for the attention of the Firearms Licensing Office.

Priory Road is no longer able to receive firearms applications in person. Clough Road and Osborne Street will accept applications

​​How can I get an application form?

You can download the obtain an application form and guidance below or by contacting the Firearms Licensing Office on 101 or by visiting your local police station.

Can my partner/member of my family/friend transport my weapons for me?

No.  Unless they have the relevant certificate of their own, they must not have access to your firearms/shotguns.

What makes a person a prohibited person from possessing firearms?

Section 21 of the Firearms Act 1968 sets out restrictions on the possession of firearms by certain categories of persons convicted of crimes in England, Wales and Scotland.

In short, persons who are sentenced to a term of imprisonment of three years or more are never allowed to possess firearms or ammunition (and from 14 July 2014 this will include antique firearms), and persons who are sentenced to a term of imprisonment for three months or more but less than three years must not possess them until five years have passed since the date of release.

From 14 July 2014 the definition of a prohibited person will include persons with suspended sentences of three months or more. The period of five years will begin on the second day after the date on which sentence has been passed . In both these circumstances, the prohibited person may appeal  to the Crown Court, or in Scotland, in accordance with Act of Sederunt to the sheriff for the prohibition to be lifted, and such an appeal may succeed if the conviction was for an unrelated crime.

Must I declare all convictions?

Yes.  Include all the details you can including any traffic convictions and offences committed abroad.

Must I notify all transactions?

All transfers of weapons must be notified in writing by post.  Fax and email notifications may also be accepted.

How do I change my address?

If you change address during the life of your certificate, please notify the licensing department in writing including your certificate so the address can be amended in accordance with the conditions of the certificate. 

A police officer/enquiry officer will deliver your amended certificate and inspect any security provisions you have installed at your new address.

What is a variation?

A variation is an amendment to the authorities on your Firearm Certificate.  If you wish to exchange a weapon/authorisation for a new calibre or one similar you will need to apply for a variation.  By downloading the Variation Form.

If you apply within 7 days of a weapon being transferred, or you are exchanging a current authority for one similar, the variation will be free.  If you are adding to the current amount of weapons currently authorised there is a fee to be paid.

NB: This only applies to Firearm Certificates.

Do I need a certificate to sell air weapons by way of trade or business?

Yes, you must contact the Police Firearms Licensing Office for an application form for a firearms dealers certificate before setting up an air weapon business.  From the 1 October 2007 it will be illegal to sell air weapons by way of trade or business, unless the premises have been registered with the Police Firearms Licensing Office. (Further information about Violent Crime Reduction Act)

Notification to Police by Game Shooters, using land at night

Humberside Police receive many calls from members of the public regarding shooting activities which take place at night on private land, this mainly concerns fears over illegal poaching, in order to reduce the inconvenience to shooters lawfully on land and police calls for service, Humberside Police have adopted a system where shooters can e mail the Force with their intended shooting activities, the force will create a log of the notification and will cross reference this once a concerned call is received, please note the force control room may contact the shooter to confirm that they are on the land when a call is received.

The e mail should include, name/address and contact number of the shooter, the name and address of the land owner and the exact land where the shooting is taking place, along with the times when shooting will take place. 

The email address for notifications is: if you have no access to email then you can also report your intended shooting activity by telephone on 101.

If you have any other queries, please contact the Firearms Licensing Office:

Postal Address:
Firearms Licensing
Humberside Police
Priory Police Station


Firearms Licensing Public Contact Office Hours 

Please note that Humberside Police Firearms Licensing unit are available to give advice on licensing matters during the following hours:

Monday – Thursday 8am – 4pm
Friday 8am – 3.30pm
Closed on public holidays

Licensing staff do work outside these hours, however telephone enquiries will be answered during the above times. 

Please note – the below application forms are valid from 3 January 2018 and supersede any previous forms.  All applications for the grant/renewal or variation of firearm or shotgun certificates should be made using these application forms.

Changes to Home Office Approved Target Clubs Grant & Renewal Applications June 2018

Following the successful pilot project for online shooting clubs, all applications for approval (new or renewal) should be submitted directly to the Home Office from Monday 11 June. This applies to all clubs in England and Wales. Applications will only be accepted by the Home Office, and should no longer be sent directly to the police. 

Once your application has been submitted, the Home Office we will review it to determine if it is valid and, if so, pass it to the police force, who will then make necessary enquiries before sending the application back to the Home Office for consideration. If you do not provide sufficient information and supporting evidence your application is likely to be rejected as invalid and will need to be resubmitted.

Before applying you must ensure that you fulfil the criteria as set out in the Home Office Clubs’ Criteria leaflet. Renewals presently cost £84 and are valid for 6 years. You should apply to renew your approval at least 3 months.  

Click here to apply online.