Parking illegally or inconsiderately can create significant problems for other road users and pedestrians, particularly those with push chairs or using mobility scooters.

The enforcement of yellow lines, time-limited parking and other parking restrictions within the Humberside policing area is the responsibility of the local authorities and their parking enforcement teams.

Untaxed vehicles

If you come across an untaxed vehicles please report this directly to the DVLA.

Vehicle MOT

Did you know that you can check the MOT status of a vehicle on the website? To report a vehicle with no valid MOT certificate, ring the Police on 101

Vehicles causing an obstruction

A vehicle causing an obstruction means it has been parked and left unattended in way that it is considered a hazard to pedestrians or other road users. For example, a car parked on a bend in the road. This also includes blocking free passage to pedestrians and blocking access to private or public property.

If you need to contact the police because a vehicle is causing a safety hazard or an obstruction on a public road, please contact us on the non-emergency number, 101.

Vehicles obstructing dropped kerbs

Due to a change in legislation local authorities are now able to issue a Penalty Charge Notice to vehicles obstructing a dropped kerb that serves a driveway, cycle track or pedestrian access.

Vehicles must not park on the carriageway adjacent to the footway, cycle track or verge that has been lowered or where the carriageway has been raised to the level of the footway, cycle track or verge for a purpose of:

  • Pedestrians crossing the road
  • Vehicles entering or leaving the off street parking areas such as driveways across the footway, cycle track or verge
  • Cyclists entering or leaving the road

Inconsiderate parking alongside a dropped kerb can prevent residents, particularly people with disabilities and pushchairs from crossing the road in a safe manner. It can also prevent the residents and businesses from getting their vehicles back on the road or in their driveway.

Abandoned vehicles

We are only responsible for dealing with abandoned vehicles if they are on a road causing an obstruction or danger, or if you believed they may be lost or stolen.

If you've made enquiries with your neighbours, no one knows who the car belongs to and you think it's been abandoned you can report it to your local council who should be able to trace the vehicle’s owner and arrange for it to be removed.

You can report obstructing, abandoned and untaxed vehicles in your area via the following links:

North East Lincolnshire Council website

North Lincolnshire Council website

East Riding of Yorkshire Council website

Hull City Council - telephone: 01482 300300