Protecting your devices
Your mobile is now so much more than a phone - it's your phonebook, internet/email/social media browser, sat nav, camera, photo library, weather forecaster, bank and more. Losing your phone therefore means losing a lot more than your phone! There are various things you can do to protect your phone and other devices.
- Never leave your phone, iPad, tablet or camera unattended, out of your sight or left on a table – thieves can grab a phone in seconds
- Retain a record of your phone's IMEI number. This is a 15-digit unique number which can be obtained by keying in *#06#. You need this information if the phone is lost or stolen (keep a note of it somewhere other than your phone!)
- Use your device’s security features, apps or PIN locking mechanisms to protect your data and prevent the phone being used if stolen
- Consider installing a tracker app on your phone. They’re readily available online. And if your mobile’s stolen, report it promptly
- Register for free on an accredited mobile phone database such as Immobilise, which helps police to identify you as the owner