Overseas visitor registration

Advice for overseas visitors and students, living/studying in the Humberside policing area

On entering the UK for the first time, you may be asked to register with the police as part of your visa conditions. This requirement can be found on your entry clearance visa, which is in your passport. You may need to register if you are from one of the following countries: 

Afghanistan, Algeria, Argentina, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Belarus, Bolivia, Brazil, China (inc. Hong Kong  & Macao), Colombia, Cuba, Egypt, Georgia, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Moldova, Morocco, North Korea, Oman, Palestine, Peru, Qatar, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Sudan, Syria, Tajikistan, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, United Arab Emirates, Ukraine, Uzbekistan & Yemen.

When must I register?

Your visa states you must register within seven days of arrival in the UK or within seven days of your visa being granted by the UKBA (if already in the UK).

How do I register?

REGISTER or AMEND your details at overseasvisitors.humberside.police.uk

Once registered you will have a fee of £34.00 to pay when you attend to collect your Police Registration Certificate (PRC) at your chosen date, time and location. You will need to present your passport, BRP card, CAS/offer letter and accommodation contract when you come to collect your certificate.

You are advised not to carry the PRC with you but to keep it in a safe place, together with your passport and other travel documents. If you are asked to produce the PRC, you will be given 48 hours in which to do so at any police station.

Once I have registered, what if my circumstances change?

If your circumstances change as listed below, please complete your CHANGE OF DETAILS at overseasvisitors.humberside.police.uk. This must be done within seven days of the change occurring.

  • Any change of address (please bring your tenancy/rent agreement showing the new address and moving in date).
  • Any change of college, university or course details (please bring your CAS study letter).
  • Any change of occupation (please bring your contract of employment).
  • Any change of marital status or birth of a child (please bring marriage/birth certificate).
  • Any new passport or travel document (please bring the passport/travel document).
  • Any new visas/landing conditions or extensions of stay granted by the UKBA or by a British Embassy/Consulate

What if I’m already registered with another police force?

If you have already registered in a different police force area, you will need to ‘transfer’ to Humberside policing area. Please click on the above link and select TRANSFER.

There is no fee to pay, as we will update your existing police certificate.

Will my spouse and children have to register?

  • All overseas visitors from countries listed in section 1 who are aged sixteen years or over normally have to register.
  • Inform the police of any children aged under 16 years, including any born after your initial registration.

What will happen if I do not register with the police within seven days?

If you are late registering with the police it may affect your next visa application.

Failure to register at all with the police is an offence under Section 26(1) (f) of the Immigration Act 1971 and where a person fails to register, the police can consider prosecution. You may be liable to arrest and could face a fine of up to £5,000, six months imprisonment, or both. Your stay in the UK may also be affected.

What happens when I've completed my studies/employment?

If you are returning home on a permanent basis after finishing your studies/employment, it is essential that you return your PRC to your nearest police station informing them of your intended departure date.

Any questions?

If you have any further questions, please contact us via email SPOCNationalitiesSection@humberside.pnn.police.uk.