Distraction burglary and Rogue Traders
Some criminals prefer to work face to face when committing crime, so be alert when someone knocks on your door, as they may be a distraction burglary or rogue trader.
Distraction burglars is someone who gains access to your property by distracting or tricking you before stealing items from your home.
Rogue traders are criminals who take advantage of householders by using high-pressure, forceful sales techniques
Please follow our hints for staying safe at the door:
- Keep you doors and windows locked.
- If someone comes to the door put the chain on before opening the door.
- Ask the caller what they want before unchaining the door and don’t let them in unless they are legitimate.
- Check they are legitimate by: checking identification cards, calling the company they claim to work – don’t let them inside while you do so or if unsure ask them to leave until you have a friend or family member with you.
- Never agree to have work done without getting a second opinion or getting further quotes.