Shaun Hutson – Sentenced to 8 years following Grimsby robberies and firearms offences

North East Lincolnshire

9 Jan 2019


HUTSON Shaun.jpgDownload

A “dangerous offender” who committed an armed robbery at a Grimsby supermarket and two attempted armed robberies at convenience stores in the town has been jailed for eight years.

Shaun Hutson, 47, of no fixed abode – who admitted committing the offences over an 11 day period in September last year – was sentenced at Grimsby Crown Court on Monday.

The first incident happened McColls in Grimsby Road, Cleethorpes, on Tuesday, September 11, when he threatened terrified staff with a kitchen knife but left empty handed.

Nine days later, on Thursday, September 20, he was chased out of a convenience store in Wellington Street, Grimsby, by the shopkeeper and his wife after attempting to rob the store and threatening them with an imitation gun.

On Saturday, September 22, he robbed Farmfoods in Garibaldi Street, Grimsby, after threatening staff with the fake gun.

He was arrested on Wednesday, September 26, after being identified from CCTV footage by a long-serving Grimsby officer.

A number of items linking him to the incidents were also recovered from a property on Guildford Street, where he had been staying.

Welcoming the sentence, Detective Constable Nigel Morgan, who led the investigation, said: “There were particularly nasty robberies.

“The staff at both of these stores were extremely distressed by the incidents and no one should have to fear being threatened with weapons when they go to work.

“I want to praise the victims of these cases for their bravery and the way they have helped our investigations.

“I also want to thank the public for the information they gave to us to help us apprehend Shaun Hutson.

“Thanks to the hard work and dedication of our officers, a dangerous and prolific offender is now in prison, where he can no longer pose a risk to the people of Grimsby and Cleethorpes.”

The Grimsby Telegraph covered the case in court – read their article showing CCTV footage of the incident here.