Civil Issues

A civil dispute can be a disagreement over ownership of property, dissatisfaction with a product or service provided, disputes over debts or bills and many other things where there is a difference in opinion between two or more parties over what was agreed.

Unless a crime has been committed or someone is in immediate danger, the police are unlikely to intervene in civil disputes, but we can put you in touch with the right organisations to help you.

We will not get involved in child custody agreements, these need to be directed to your solicitor, court if there is a court agreement in place or social services. However, if there are any immediate concerns about the children’s welfare then please call 101 for advice.   

Neighbour Disputes

Disputes between neighbours can be caused by a variety of reasons. If you live in either council housing or housing controlled by a social landlord, your housing officer should be the first point of contact.

Your local council is responsible for dealing with the following issues:

  • Barking dogs
  • Noisy parties, loud music and domestic noise
  • Groups of children hanging around waiting to see one of their friends who lives at a neighbour’s property
  • Hedgerows - high hedges or untidy hedges
  • Untidy gardens, or public health concerns like refuse or rodents in council properties

North East Lincolnshire Council Website

North Lincolnshire Council Website  

East Riding of Yorkshire Council Website  

Hull City Council Website

If your dispute involves an assault, a breach of the peace or criminal damage then it is a police matter. Please call 101, or call 999 in an emergency.

Property Boundaries

Unless a crime has been committed, or is in progress, we don’t have the authority to intervene in a boundary dispute.

If you can’t find an amicable solution with your neighbour, we suggest seeking the advice of a solicitor to resolve this. You could also contact your bank, building society, or whoever holds your deeds, to confirm the boundaries.

The following websites have more information: