Antisocial behaviour

Antisocial behaviour (ASB) is any aggressive, intimidating or destructive act that impacts on another person’s quality of life.

Depending on the nature of the behaviour, it can be dealt with by the police or Antisocial Behaviour Team at your local council.

In an emergency, call 999.

ASB dealt with by your local council

The following issues should be dealt with by your local council. If at any time you believe you are at immediate risk, please call police.

  • If groups are congregating in public spaces, drinking alcohol and dropping litter.
  • Verbal abuse and threats of violence – unless you believe you are at immediate risk.
  • Young people gathering in large numbers and behaving in a way that is threatening or intimidating to others.
  • Noise nuisance, such as loud music, industrial or construction noise, misfiring alarms, loud TVs, shouting or banging, DIY noise or dogs barking.
  • Graffiti and vandalism to public property. 

ASB dealt with by police

The following issues should be reported to police by calling 101, or 999 in an emergency.

  • Threats to kill and violence. If you believe you are at immediate risk of harm, call 999.
  • Graffiti and vandalism to your personal property.
  • Hate crime: If a person is abused – verbally or physically – because of their ethnicity, religion, sexuality, gender, disability or just because they are different then this is a crime or hate incident
  • Harassment: Repeated attempts to make unwanted contact with a person and those associated with them, which causes a person distress or fear.
  • Excessive car stereo noise

How to report ASB

You can use the following methods to report ASB in your area:

North Lincolnshire Council

Safer Neighbourhoods partnership: Website

North East Lincolnshire Council

East Riding of Yorkshire Council

Hull City Council

Community Trigger

Incidents of antisocial behaviour can regularly be resolved by a single action by one agency. For example a warning letter from the local authority’s noise nuisance team to a household which has played loud music may be all that is needed to stop the problem happening again.

However, there are other cases of antisocial behaviour that need a number of agencies to work together to tackle the issue. Members of the public also need to be confident that these agencies are indeed working closely together. This is where the Community Trigger comes in. Put simply, the Community Trigger is a mechanism available to the public which they can use to ask agencies such as the local authority, police and housing providers to review collectively how they have responded to complaints of antisocial behaviour.

The Community Trigger does not replace individual organisations’ own complaints’ procedures which can and should be used by the public where there is dissatisfaction with the conduct of an individual agency. If you feel that agencies working in partnership have not dealt effectively with antisocial behaviour you have reported, you can raise a Community Trigger.

We have set a Community Trigger Threshold to make sure all Community Trigger requests are dealt with consistently.

The threshold is:

  • Either, you as an individual have reported 3 separate incidents relating to the same or similar issue of anti-social behaviour which have occurred within the last 6 months
  • Or, 5 different households have separately reported the same antisocial behaviour issue which has occurred within the last 6 months.

If you meet this criteria, you can ask for us to progress the Community Trigger on your behalf.

How to progress a Community Trigger

You can progress with a Community Trigger by:

  • Calling us on 101
  • Writing to: Chief Inspector James Glansfield, Humberside Police Headquarters, Priory Road, Hull, HU5 5SF 
  • By completing the below Community Trigger reporting form and emailing it to
  • In person by visiting your nearest Public Enquiry Desk