Firearms Licensing Information

What is the cost of a certificate and how long do they last?

Shotgun and Firearm Certificates last for 5 years.  Registered Firearms Dealers last for 3 years as do Explosive – Acquire and Keep certificates.  Explosives – Acquire Only certificates are only valid for 1 year.

  • Shotgun Certificate Grant - £50.00
  • Shotgun Certificate Renewal - £40.00
  • Firearm Certificate Grant - £50.00
  • Firearm Certificate Renewal - £40.00
  • Co-terminous Shotgun and Firearm Certificate grant - £60.00
  • Co-terminous Shotgun and Firearm Certificate renewal - £50.00
  • Registered Firearm Dealer Grant and Renewal £150.00.

How can I pay for a certificate?

Payment can be in either a Cheque or Postal Order made payable to Humberside Police and Crime Commissioner (or Humberside PCC).  If you wish to pay in cash, please attend your local police station.

Where do I send my application?

Please forward your application direct to the Firearms Licensing Office at:

Firearms Licensing
Humberside Police
Tower Grange Police Station
Holderness Road

Or alternatively by handing them in at your local police station for the attention of the Firearms Licensing Office.

How can I get an application form?

You can download the obtain a form 201 and the Form 201 guidance below or by contacting the Firearms Licensing Office on 101 or by visiting your local police station.

Can my partner/member of my family/friend transport my weapons for me?

No.  Unless they have the relevant certificate of their own, they must not have access to your firearms/shotguns.

What makes a person a prohibited person from possessing firearms?

If you have served a term of imprisonment in excess of 3 months you are banned from possessing firearms and ammunition for 5 years from the date of your release.  If you have served a term of more than 3 years you are banned for life from possessing firearms and ammunition.

Must I declare all convictions?

Yes.  Include all the details you can including any traffic convictions and offences committed abroad.

Must I notify all transactions?

All transfers of weapons must be notified in writing by post.  Fax and email notifications may also be accepted.

How do I change my address?

If you change address during the life of your certificate, please notify the licensing department in writing including your certificate so the address can be amended in accordance with the conditions of the certificate. [link to form]

A police officer/enquiry officer will deliver your amended certificate and inspect any security provisions you have installed at your new address.

What is a variation?

A variation is an amendment to the authorities on your Firearm Certificate.  If you wish to exchange a weapon/authorisation for a new calibre or one similar you will need to apply for a variation.  By downloading the Variation Form 202.

If you apply within 7 days of a weapon being transferred, or you are exchanging a current authority for one similar, the variation will be free.  If you are adding to the current amount of weapons currently authorised there is a fee of £26.00 to be paid.

NB: This only applies to Firearm Certificates.

Do I need a certificate to sell air weapons by way of trade or business?

Yes, you must contact the Police Firearms Licensing Office for an application form for a firearms dealers certificate before setting up an air weapon business.  From the 1 October 2007 it will be illegal to sell air weapons by way of trade or business, unless the premises have been registered with the Police Firearms Licensing Office. (Further information about Violent Crime Reduction Act)

If you have any other queries, please contact the Firearms Licensing Office:

Postal Address:
Firearms Licensing
Humberside Police
Tower Grange Police Station
Holderness Road

Telephone: 101

Fax: 01482 597572