Foreign National Registration

If you are visiting the UK you may be required under the Immigration Regulation Act 1972 (Registration with the police) to register with the police.

This requirement will be found on your visa or biometric identity card which says "Register/Report to the Police".

Failure to register could result in either a £5,000 fine or six months imprisonment, or both and could affect any further application to stay in the UK.

Who has to register?

As stated above, some foreign nationals, over the age of 16, who have conditions on their visa and are subject to immigration control must report to the local police to register their details within seven days. This is a legal requirement.  Countries to which this applies are listed below.

Afghanistan Cuba Libya Syria
Algeria Egypt Moldova Tajikistan
Argentina Georgia Morocco Tunisia
Armenia Iran North Korea  Turkey
Azerbaijan Iraq Oman Turkmenistan
Bahrain Israel Palestine United Arab Emirates
Belarus Jordan Peru Ukraine
Bolivia Kazakhstan Qatar Uzbekistan
Brazil Kirgizstan Russia Yemen
China (inc Hong Kong) Kuwait Saudi Arabia  
Colombia Lebanon Sudan  

 Where can you register?

If you are required to register with the police you should report to a police station in Hull, Beverley, Hessle, Bridlington, Goole, Withernsea, Cleethorpes or Scunthorpe within seven days of arriving in the United Kingdom.

If you are a student arriving to study at the University of Hull, staff from Humberside Police Nationalities Section attends regularly in University House.  Registrations can be carried out there by appointment only.  Appointments should be made through Student Services Reception staff.  To comply with the legal requirement appointments must be made within seven days of arriving in the United Kingdom.

If you are a student at Grimsby College or John Leggott College, Scunthorpe police staff attends to carry out registrations during the busy times, normally during the start of the academic year.  If you wish to register at one of these Colleges check with staff from the College International department regarding planned registration dates.

What do you need to bring with you to register?

You will need to produce:

1. Passport.
2. Visa/biometric identity card.
3. £34.00 cash or cheque made payable to Humberside Police authority.
4. Two passport sized photographs.
5. Confirmation of your University/College placement or Work permit.
6. Confirmation of address (e.g. rental agreement).

An Application for Registration of a Foreign National form, which can be found at the bottom of this page, will save you a lot of time if you could complete this form and print it off prior to attending to register at either the police station or the University.

If you have already registered with the police elsewhere in the UK.

You should report to a local police station, or if a student at the University of Hull make an appointment as explained above.  Take with you your passport and Registration Certificate and complete a Change of Details form (which can be found at the bottom of this page). It will save you time if you could print off one of these forms and have it completed when reporting to the Police Station or staff at the University.

Staff will then update your certificate for you.  There is no additional charge for changes.



If you have any questions regarding your registration, Humberside Police Nationalities Section staff will be happy to assist.  You can e-mail any questions to them at:

For any other visa queries contact the UK Border Agency.